Saturday, August 2, 2008

Produce-box subscription was huge leap of faith

There are so many aspects of Asperger Syndrome that can benefit from publicity, and food anxiety is one of them.

It was a huge ordeal growing up, struggling to eat certain foods because their texture made me gag. Imagine the endless conflicts around the family dinner table!

When I learned one year ago, in July 2007, that I have AS, I encountered narratives by other people on the spectrum who have trouble eating certain things. I'd finally identified more piece in the puzzle!

Earlier this month my family began subscribing to buy produce from a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) supplier. You have entirely no control over what crops come due in a season and whatever has come into harvest is what ends up in your box.

It was a huge leap of faith for me, because of my past experiences, and so far it's been rewarding. There has always been something in the box that I have been able to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment